Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Rent boy redux


Buried at PhotoCasket.com


Readers, I'm sure you all remember this post, in which I related my difficulty in finding a new roommate. Although my online ad specifically says that I'm looking for another single woman to share my apartment with, I've been getting lots of emails from guys. Most of them are gay, with the occasional American Gigolo wannabe thrown in.

I got an email yesterday from a young man called Brent, a 25-year-old self-proclaimed "submissive" who wants to crash at my pad in exchange for being "a cook, maid, errand boy and slave."

Yes, he said slave.

"Would you have any interest in a roommate who'll cook, clean and do literally anything you say?" asks Brent. "I hope so."

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but no, Brent. No interest. In fact, the very word "submissive" turns me off. Call me closed-minded, but leashes are for dogs, not people.

Sigh.

What is it about my ad that screams "S+M"? Apparently "Professional female, 30s, laid-back, clean, looking for same to share 2bed. No drugs, no drama" translates into "GET THAT SKINNY ASS IN THE AIR SO I CAN WHACK IT 'TILL IT'S RAW WHILE YOU SCRUB MY KITCHEN FLOOR! NOW SAY 'THANK YOU, MISTRESS'!!" SMACK!!!

I've only been in LA for 3 1/2 years, so I still don't get some of the lingo. My bad.

Is this happening because I'm on Craigslist? I'm not having this kind of trouble on Roommates.com. I shudder to think about the kinds of responses I'd get if I put up a personal ad.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Linnaeus said...

I don't know if one can say that Craigslist is the cause, per se, but I would say there's probably some kind of correlation. I don't know if it has to do with Craiglist's posting policies, or if it simply has acquired a certain kind of reputation.

I like Craigslist and it's been very useful for me on several occasions. That said, if you did put up a personal ad, you would 1) get a *ton* of responses, probably more than you could read, and 2) a fair percentage of them would be of the kind you got for your roommate ad. Especially if you posted in "casual encounters" rather than "women seeking men".

I think people on Craigslist (maybe not exclusively there, but moreso than on other sites) assume a kind of flexibility on the part of the ad posters; they figure, "yeah, he/she says he/she wants this, but once they see what I offer, maybe he/she will make a exception."

12:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't stand Craigslist. I keep thinking, "What, is everyone here a drooling moron?"

But these days roommates.com isn't much better. I had to give up on using it because all I ever got were Australian spammers wanting to give me large checks.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Hey! I just got an email from an Australian spammer yesterday! Unbelievable.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

dating

I'm a C-list Blogebrity
A Member of Bust's Girl Wide Web

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

Personal Blogs
Personal Blogs /body>