Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Rent boy

Remember me, dear readers? I haven't forgotten you either. Yes, this blog has gotten lame in recent weeks. Life's obligations sometimes get in the way of my little hobbies, but I'm trying to get back on track. I've missed my writing!

I've got a new story - tell me what y'all make of this.

At the end of last month, my roommate Sherri moved out. She and I had only lived together for 7 months; my previous roommate and I had shared my apartment for 2 1/2 years before she relocated to New York. I found Sherri through Craigslist, and we hit it off immediately. She told me that she was going through a divorce, which made me a bit wary; I wanted a roommate who was financially stable, and able to stay a while. Fast forward to February - Sherri's divorce is wiping her out financially, and she can no longer afford her attorney and her rent. I feel horrible for her, but she was lucky enough to find a coworker who's also going through a divorce, and offered her a nice place to crash rent-free while she gets back on her feet. All's well that ends well, although it's disheartening to see yet another marriage implode (and the havoc it wreaks on the divorcée).

I got stuck paying all the rent on my place this month, because I was traveling in February and wouldn't have time to meet potential roommates. I'm now on a tight budget, but you have to suck it up sometimes. I've been living here for 3 years, and I want to find a roommate who's sane, which is a bit tricky in LA.

I put the word out to friends and coworkers; I also put up another post on Craigslist. I've gotten a few bites, mostly from guys, which is a surprise. I've never had a male roommate. I know a few women who have, and it was fine; as long as somebody's clean and respectful of shared space, who cares what gender they are?

Today I got an email from a young man - very young, maybe 20 years old. He's a student and an actor (of course), who says he can only pay a few hundred dollars a month, but is willing to cook, clean, and do "other domestic duties" to make up for it.

Umm...

"Other domestic duties?"

***BLINK***

Whaaaa?

I thought I might be reading too much into it, but then I noticed an attachment on the email.

He'd sent his headshot, in which he looked about 12, and seemed to be wearing copious amounts of eye makeup and bronzer. Mind you, my Craigslist post featured pics of my place, but not me.

He also sent a link to his MySpace page, in which he describes himself as a simple Southern boy with a dream, and insists that he'll try anything once. Ahem.

Rent boy, meet Sugar Mama. I do so hate doing dishes.

Just kidding; my apartment has a dishwasher. I'll have to pass, RB. I don't think I'd make a very good john (or is it jane?). God bless and good luck in the vicious industry you've entered. You'll most likely end up prostituting yourself eventually, one way or the other.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Die alte Aechzener said...

don't we all, one way or another?

I've had several women make similar offers over the years when I was single, but somehow it never seemed like a good idea. Altho if you were cynical, you might remark, why did I get married then :/

6:30 AM  
Blogger Linnaeus said...

Hmmm...how self-sacrificing of him! I'm sure he'd hate every moment of those "other domestic duties" he's volunteered to do.

I've lived in mixed-gender housing a few times, and it worked out just fine. Back when my roommate and I were looking for a third (we're both men), about half of our respondents were women. None of them ended up moving in, but I don't think it had anything to do with us.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Hmmm...malthup, I'm not that cynical.

Linnaeus, although I like to flatter myself that men enjoy my company, I'd be a very bad feminist indeed if I had a "kept man".

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's something very sad about the way that young man describes himself, don't you think? I have "too eager to please" in my head - but it feels like more than that.

Good to see you back G.
xx

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with witchy-woo. There's something very sad about him.

He's probably desperate to get out of his situation and become a big, big star someday.

What really saddens me though is knowing how many people will jump to take advantage of the kid.

Gayle

4:38 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

There's something sad about all of us when we're 20...you think you know everything, but you don't know shit, and you can get yourself in serious trouble if you cross paths with the wrong people.

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, G... that's reminded me of a poster I saw once. It said:

"Teenagers! Fed up of living with your boring, killjoy parents? Move out, get a job, pay your own bills...while you still know everything!"

4:23 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Funny, my mother used to say that to me when I was younger and omnipotent.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

dating

I'm a C-list Blogebrity
A Member of Bust's Girl Wide Web

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

Personal Blogs
Personal Blogs /body>