Monday, February 05, 2007

1980s redux


Does my headband make you horny, baby?

This video had me in hysterics this morning. I'm so, so grateful that I graduated high school in 1990; I was only a wee child in the 70s, so I'm automatically absolved of responsibility regarding any unfortunate prints or patterns I might have worn. I did wear headbands and legwarmers in the 80s, but I was a dumb teenager; making bad fashion choices is a natural result of unbalanced hormones. Besides which, Flashdance had been a huge hit; Jennifer Beals was the JLo of the 80s. I was so innocent that I thought "Let's Get Physical" was actually about people burning off dinner at a gym. Man. You can only (afford to) be that innocent once.

I sported some big time big hair in the 90s, but so did everybody who grew up in downstate NY. My sister's bangs were teased so high, I used to tell her that the back of her head looked like a peacock's ass. I couldn't get my fine hair to stay up, no matter how much Aqua Net I used, so I skipped bangs and went all-out with a tight spiral-curl perm. I couldn't comb it, and could only wash it every other day. I swear to god, I would lose small earrings in that mop, and find them days later when I washed my hair again.

Anyway. I love this video not only because it lampoons 80s fashion, but because it specifically pokes fun at the T and A grindfests that 80s exercise videos were. Before Jane Fonda, exercising was all about Teh Sex, not about actually being, you know, healthy. I bet my grandchildren will laugh about Cardio Striptease the way I laughed at this.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Linnaeus said...

You know, Ging, exercise programming didn't necessarily get any better after the 1980s. I was unemployed for a spell in the late 1990s, and I'd check out ESPN2 in the mornings...let's just say "Kiana's Flex Appeal" wasn't just about the exercises.

7:49 PM  
Blogger CruiserMel said...

Ha ha, I love the lost earring line. Funny stuff.

I'm pretty sure I skipped the leg warmers, but I'm guilty of going with the "Loverboy groupie" look. Red, black and the occasional yellow. Ick.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

True enough, Linnaeus. I also remember reading somewhere that Jane Fonda was all kinds of anorexic while making her videos. I liked the 'Buns of Steel' videos from the 90s. They really worked (for me, anyway). Now it's outside walks, pilates and dance for Yours Truly. If I don't enjoy it, I won't do it.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

dating

I'm a C-list Blogebrity
A Member of Bust's Girl Wide Web

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

Personal Blogs
Personal Blogs /body>