Sunday, January 14, 2007

Giving credit where it's due

On the show Nip/Tuck, when Dr.'s McNamara and Troy are giving a consultation, their first question is: "Tell me what you don't like about yourself."

How sad. Dear readers, that is no way to start a conversation, unless you're in therapy! Indeed, it is healthy and fabulous to toot your own proverbial horn every once in a while. The brilliant Zuzu at Feministe pays homage to this idea with her post "Wonderful, Glorious Me." As she says:
We’re conditioned, particularly as women, to be self-deprecating, to not take up space, to not revel in our bodies and ourselves. We can get 150 comments in a thread about when we realized that we were aware our bodies weren’t up to snuff; let’s see how many we can generate praising ourselves.

I love it! Starting the new year with a "go, me!" moment will set us all off on the right path! Lord knows, we are all our own worst critics, and Yours Truly is no exception. I'm going to take up Zuzu's challenge of listing 5 things that I love about myself. Without further ado:


1. I love my unique "cat eyes" (that would be them, above). Like many women, I often have trouble graciously accepting compliments, but not when they're directed at my peepers. When I was in college, one of the guys on my floor wrote a sonnet to them. Ah, cute boys and bad poetry - an oddly endearing combination!

2. I'm a voracious reader. One of my dreams is to have a personal library constructed in my home.

3. I have a smile that knocks people out. True story - a guy once walked into a wall after I smiled at him.

4. My strong legs got me to the top of Mount Monadnock in 2 1/2 hours (that's a 3200 foot uphill hike, y'all!)

5. Two words: awesome rack.

Okay, readers - your turn! Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to list 5 things that you LIKE about your body and yourself. Yes, that includes my bepenised readers! I know that you all have plenty of traits worth crowing about, so - crow!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what gorgeous eyes!

2:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First: you do have awesome eyes!

For me: 1) I love my eyes, too. They vary between blue and green depending on what I'm wearing and my mood. 2)I have a great tits. They have been called "juicy" more than once. 3)My hair is a great shade of golden blonde, with the kind of highlights others pay for. 4)My fingernails grow fast and strong. I keep them polished all the time to highlight them. 5)I'm well liked by others. It's rare that I meet someone who seems not to like me and I've kept many friends since elementary school.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Linnaeus said...

I'll give it a whirl here; it's a little more intimate..

1. I have bright green eyes that I've always been proud of, with long eyelashes that some have told me they'd kill for.

2. My *ahem* rear runs a close second in terms of compliments. :)

3. I know massive amounts of information that is generally useless except for winning free beer at pub trivia.

4. I'm generally friendly and a good listener ; I can get along with almost anyone.

5. I'm 6'2". I like that a lot.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1)My teeth, its weird but I love my teeth. 2) My motivation & work ethic, I'm good at my job and do a good job even though sometimes I hate it. 3)My hair, I used to hate it because it is naturally curly, but since I grew it out I love it. 4) My brown eyes. 3)My educational accomplishments, I'm a dissertation away from my doctorate.

Also, I agree with everyone else, your eyes are beautiful.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Nimue, thank you, but do you have a list for us??

Olivia is juicy! Love it.

Linnaeus, there is no such thing as useless trivia!

Fear not Esalaid, there are no copies of Cosmo anywhere in the vicinity.

Sonjab, I love that you mentioned your work ethic. Very few people take pride in doing a good job these days.

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming back.
I missed your musings.
You do have beautiful eyes but it's your eyelashes that amaze me.
Obviously mine aren't as thick.

1) My smile. Many many people have told me so. Kudos to my dentist!
2) My brains. I feel blessed to have them.
3) My wicked sense of trouble. Although is has gotten me into trouble of which I justly deserved.
4) My family. Born lucky I guess.
5) My legs. My kids' friends were always amazed at the rips in my leg muscles. They are the product of bareback riding and many hours in the ocean kicking currents with fins on.

This is a great idea-I feel more confident already!

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"it has gotten"
typo-sorry

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. I have cat eyes too! Blue ones.
2. 32DD and perky, nevermind the scars.
3. Good teeth
4. Dancer's legs/ass
5. Brainiac, even though it makes me kinda spacey.

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH my gosh! What a great exercise! We women should do that every single day!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Thanks, shades of blue. I will admit that makeup plays a part in how good my eyelashes look. If I don't wear eye makeup, I look asleep!

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

dating

I'm a C-list Blogebrity
A Member of Bust's Girl Wide Web

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

Personal Blogs
Personal Blogs /body>