Friday, December 28, 2007

The more I hear about this chick, the cooler I think she is.

Diablo Cody punches our culture in the nuts:

"...This is a real paradox for me: My entire life I've been told I wasn't pretty enough. My entire life I was told by people that I was ugly, that I was too tall, that I was flat-chested, that I was this, that I was that. When I was a stripper I was never quite pretty enough. I was never one of the beautiful girls. I was never one of the top earners. Suddenly I achieve something in my life that is purely intellectual and purely creative, and I'm being told that it's because I'm pretty. To me that is the weirdest, most ironic thing ever. Like all of a sudden I'm attractive when it suits people's purposes. But in the past when I needed to be attractive I was ugly. So let's pick. Which is it?"

I think I need to see Juno.
Hat tip: Jezebel.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Diablo, stop letting other people define you.......revel in who you are. There is always someone out there doing the "sour grapes" thing, and their point of view is a shriveled as their attitude. Who cares? Enjoy your youth & beauty while it's there - and count on your brains to see you thru. And while you're at it, count your blessings that you seem to have ALL those attributes!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Linnaeus said...

Amanda Marcotte at Pandagon pointed out what I was thinking, which is that Cody is well aware that there are different kinds of "pretty" or "hot" depending on one's context. What isn't hot in a strip club may well be considered hot at a writer's cocktail party.

I get her main point, and I think her frustration is justified, but I also think she understands that creative types have an image attached to them and that often does have something to do with their appeal.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Sage said...

I just saw Juno and the dialogue was perfect - some of the most believable people I've seen in film in a long while. (Maybe because I don't know any gangsters or zombies, but I know lots of awkward teenagers.)

9:13 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

The funny thing about all this is, no matter what the beauty standard is, in whatever industry, it seems to be always used against a woman. It's never in her favor - the old 'can't win for losing' principle.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ugh. She also said she wasn't attractive enough to be molested when she was as kid. Way to go there.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

dating

I'm a C-list Blogebrity
A Member of Bust's Girl Wide Web

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

Personal Blogs
Personal Blogs /body>