Sunday, August 27, 2006

Fashion victim

While I'm on the subject of high fashion, dear readers, I may as well share a very recent faux pas of my own.

First of all, let me say that I am not, and have never been, a fashion maven. As I write this, I'm sitting on my couch in sweatpants, a face mask and heated spa socks. I don't go out this way, of course, since I don't want to scare anybody. Truth be told, I was a nerdy ugly duckling growing up, a late bloomer who only grew into herself in her mid-20's. I have a pretty solid sense of style now, and am comfortable with myself in a way that I've never been before. I'm happy to say that the kind of self-acceptance that I enjoy now comes from my achievements and relationships, not from the way I look, which I worry about less and less as time goes on. That being said, I'm artsy, and I like for my clothes to reflect that. I've got a penchant for elegant cuts and quirky details; Flirty Pretty Things, if you will.

This past week I had the opportunity to attend the debut of designer Joy Han's new line, called Voom. Her fall collection is vintage inspired; I love vintage clothes, so I was excited to see the new pieces. My friend Liz and I agreed to meet at (h)armonie, the boutique on Abbott Kinney Blvd. in Venice where the event was to be held around 6:30pm. We both wound up running late because of work, and each found ourselves stuck in horrendous traffic to boot. Liz arrived first and said she'd wait for me inside the boutique; the fashion show was scheduled to start at 7.

I made a wrong turn on Abbott Kinney and had to double back. I was horrendously late, finally parking my car at 7:01. I booked down the street and rushed into the boutique to look for Liz - luckily, the show hadn't started yet. (h)armonie was packed with people bustling about. I couldn't find Liz, and soon realized that the very tall and skinny women around me were Joy Han's models, who were being dressed for the show. Okay, I'm clearly in the wrong area. I couldn't see any way out of the small room that I was in, except to go back out onto the street. The boutique must have another room, but where was it?

After wandering through a few clothing racks, I saw a divider curtain and made a beeline for it. I didn't see the "Watch your step" sign next to the curtain until the last minute, and found myself tripping up a small set of stairs. Tired, aggravated and disoriented, I pushed the curtain out of my face and walked through...

...right onto the catwalk.

Oh, god. I was confronted with a sea of confused faces below me, including a couple of photographers who looked vaguely annoyed. They'd had their cameras at the ready until they realized that this 5'4" woman wearing teal low-rider jeans and a T-shirt that read "Domestically Disabled" couldn't possibly be a model. I was frozen for a second, arms akimbo, holding a curtain in each hand as I tried to decide whether to just jump down from the runway or turn tail and flee. I finally spotted Liz in the middle of the crowd; she waved excitedly and beckoned me over. God bless her, she wasn't at all embarrassed to be associated with me.

Well, fuck it, this is probably the only runway walk I'll ever do. I tried to put my best "I totally meant to come in this way, don't you know who I am?" look on my face, crossed the catwalk about halfway and jumped down next to Liz. She didn't miss a beat. "You're just in time! Let's get you a drink, they have an open bar!" What a gal.

The show itself was incredible; Joy Han's clothes are gorgeous. I may buy something to try and make up for giving her show a false start!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhhh, heated spa socks!

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always come out on top, no matter what the situation. Good for you! I bet your catwalk was a memorable one!

12:43 AM  
Blogger blacksheep said...

domestically disabled...baaa haa haa...that is funny...you did exactly what I probably would have done

4:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

coach purses, michael kors, nike roshe run, air max pas cher, coach outlet store online, nike blazer pas cher, nike roshe, hermes pas cher, coach outlet, air max, true religion outlet, nike air force, ray ban uk, ralph lauren pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, true religion, longchamp pas cher, nike free pas cher, vans pas cher, ralph lauren uk, sac vanessa bruno, tn pas cher, michael kors canada, north face pas cher, kate spade outlet, burberry pas cher, air jordan, longchamp, converse pas cher, coach outlet, lululemon outlet online, scarpe hogan, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet online, mulberry uk, nike free, michael kors uk, hollister uk, oakley pas cher, lacoste pas cher, louboutin, nike air max, north face, timberland pas cher, nike air max, hollister, ray ban pas cher, new balance pas cher, guess pas cher, true religion jeans

6:28 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

burberry pas cher, christian louboutin uk, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, prada handbags, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, replica watches, replica watches, tory burch outlet, nike free run, uggs on sale, louis vuitton, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, louboutin pas cher, christian louboutin, nike free, sac longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike roshe, michael kors pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, nike outlet, jordan shoes, tiffany jewelry, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, air max, gucci handbags, jordan pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet

6:20 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, polo lacoste, hollister pas cher, coach outlet, vans pas cher, nike air max uk, burberry handbags, lululemon canada, true religion jeans, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, sac vanessa bruno, timberland pas cher, new balance, michael kors outlet online, guess pas cher, ray ban uk, michael kors, nike air force, coach purses, ralph lauren uk, north face uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, nike free uk, north face, nike air max, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, nike tn, hollister uk, hogan outlet, coach outlet store online, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, ray ban pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, sac hermes, kate spade

6:22 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, soccer jerseys, ralph lauren, beats by dre, giuseppe zanotti outlet, insanity workout, iphone 6s plus cases, vans outlet, nike roshe run, mcm handbags, iphone 6 cases, instyler, abercrombie and fitch, nike trainers uk, ghd hair, mont blanc pens, north face outlet, wedding dresses, valentino shoes, herve leger, hollister, lululemon, north face outlet, reebok outlet, chi flat iron, iphone 6 plus cases, new balance shoes, nike huaraches, oakley, nike air max, iphone 5s cases, babyliss, iphone 6s cases, ferragamo shoes, jimmy choo outlet, timberland boots, ipad cases, bottega veneta, longchamp uk, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, iphone cases, p90x workout, hollister clothing, s6 case, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, soccer shoes, hermes belt, louboutin

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

dating

I'm a C-list Blogebrity
A Member of Bust's Girl Wide Web

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

Personal Blogs
Personal Blogs /body>