Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Ginger snaps

I've had insomnia for most of my life. When I am asleep, I sleep deeply, and don't usually remember my dreams. That's a good thing, dear readers, because my dreams are 3D, Technicolor, THX whoppers that make me feel as if I'd taken a handful of crazy pills before going to bed. For instance, here's the gem that danced through my quirky mind last night:

**I am naked and on my back in bed, looking down at a huge pregnant belly; I'm in the middle of giving birth. Mind you, I have never been pregnant, nor wanted to be. The room is white and undecorated, but I know that I'm in my parents' bedroom in the house that I grew up in (which my father sold two years ago).

I'm surrounded by three happy, anonymous nurses in white scrubs and sterile masks. It takes a painless 30 seconds to push the baby out (as if that ever happens - any mother who's reading this is laughing hysterically right now). "It's a girl!" says one of the nurses. I look down at my body, which has instantly snapped back to its pre-pregnant state (have another laugh at my expense, moms). I see a few small white stretch marks on my hips, nothing horrible. I run my left hand over my abdomen. Well, that wasn't so bad!

One of the nurses wraps my daughter in a light blue blanket and hands her to me. She is beautiful, tiny, quiet, perfect; I am thrilled and proud. I just had a baby! I have accomplished something really major! My body is clean, feels as light as air and is suddenly clothed. I walk her into the master bathroom and gently put her on the closed toilet seat, of all places. There is a huge pile of dirty laundry between the toilet and the sink. I leave the bathroom for just a minute; I don't doubt that she is safe. I'm not sure why I left - it's a gap in the dream.

The next thing I remember is coming back into the bathroom to retrieve my child. She is gone. No blanket, no baby. Oh god, did someone throw her away by accident? Nobody knew that I was pregnant. I panic, and look all over the house for her, terrified that she might have starved to death. How could I not feed my new baby before putting her down? I'm a failure at this.

I go back into the bathroom, and I notice that the pile of laundry is also missing. I know! Dad must have taken her downstairs with the laundry. Oh Christ, is she in the washing machine?! I run downstairs to the laundry room. It's dark, neither of the machines are on, and the giant pile of laundry is sitting on top of the dryer. I frantically start to sort through it. Please let her be alive.

Finally, near the bottom of the pile, I feel a tiny hand. Found her! Relieved and freaked out, I continue to throw laundry everywhere to get to her. Oh god oh god I can't feel a pulse! I toss the rest of the laundry on the floor and pick my baby up. I feel her neck for a pulse, but find nothing. My heart sinks; it's my worst nightmare. I killed my baby. I take a closer look at her, and that's when I realize: she isn't alive, but she isn't dead, either. She isn't real.

I had given birth to a baby doll.

How did I not notice this? Oh well, at least I know I didn't kill her. I feel disappointed, but I wrap her up in her blue blanket and cradle her as if she's a real baby. After all, I'd given birth to her, hadn't I? That made me her mother. I take her upstairs to the kitchen, where my father and several other family members are milling around.

I hand the doll baby to my father and say, "Here's your granddaughter!", proudly, like a real mother.**

Lordy lord. Readers, I woke up from that dream in a cold sweat. I do believe that our dreams are a subconscious reflection of what's going on in our waking lives, but that is just nuts. Will any of you come and visit me after the nice men in the white coats take me away for a "rest"? Hahaha. Ok, time to look through a dream dictionary...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

not to worry, you're a tough cookie and won't crumble..but worse case scenario would bring you licorice,coke, etc., if you do go to the home for the very very nervous!
booklover

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL...well you know what i think and you know to save me a spot in the med line!

:) t

11:43 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

burberry pas cher, christian louboutin uk, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, prada handbags, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, replica watches, replica watches, tory burch outlet, nike free run, uggs on sale, louis vuitton, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, louboutin pas cher, christian louboutin, nike free, sac longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike roshe, michael kors pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, nike outlet, jordan shoes, tiffany jewelry, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, air max, gucci handbags, jordan pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet

6:20 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, polo lacoste, hollister pas cher, coach outlet, vans pas cher, nike air max uk, burberry handbags, lululemon canada, true religion jeans, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, sac vanessa bruno, timberland pas cher, new balance, michael kors outlet online, guess pas cher, ray ban uk, michael kors, nike air force, coach purses, ralph lauren uk, north face uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, nike free uk, north face, nike air max, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, nike tn, hollister uk, hogan outlet, coach outlet store online, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, ray ban pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, sac hermes, kate spade

6:23 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, soccer jerseys, ralph lauren, beats by dre, giuseppe zanotti outlet, insanity workout, iphone 6s plus cases, vans outlet, nike roshe run, mcm handbags, iphone 6 cases, instyler, abercrombie and fitch, nike trainers uk, ghd hair, mont blanc pens, north face outlet, wedding dresses, valentino shoes, herve leger, hollister, lululemon, north face outlet, reebok outlet, chi flat iron, iphone 6 plus cases, new balance shoes, nike huaraches, oakley, nike air max, iphone 5s cases, babyliss, iphone 6s cases, ferragamo shoes, jimmy choo outlet, timberland boots, ipad cases, bottega veneta, longchamp uk, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, iphone cases, p90x workout, hollister clothing, s6 case, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, soccer shoes, hermes belt, louboutin

6:25 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, barbour, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, doudoune moncler, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, lancel, moncler, canada goose outlet, ray ban, coach outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, marc jacobs, supra shoes, links of london, montre pas cher, hollister, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler outlet, hollister, gucci, toms shoes, ugg, nike air max, canada goose, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, vans, barbour uk

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

dating

I'm a C-list Blogebrity
A Member of Bust's Girl Wide Web

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

Personal Blogs
Personal Blogs /body>