Friday, October 24, 2008

Joan, meet Rita.


I unexpectedly have a Halloween party this Saturday, but my Joan dress hasn't arrived yet (I ordered it online and it will be delivered next week). Last night I headed down to American Vintage on Melrose and attempted to squeeze myself into every 1960s style dress the place had; it wasn't happening. I had always figured that vintage clothes would fit me well, since I'm more on the curvy side (instead of the 'needle shape' that is currently so popular here in LA).

Well, shit.

What the hell kinds of undergarments did women wear back then? I'm assuming that weariing a very stuffed bra and the cruelest girdle known to man is the only way that a human woman can have a 40" bust and a 25" waist. Those are Barbie measurements, people. The hell?

I was finally able to squeeze my ass into a 1940s black velvet cocktail dress. I managed to get it for $27, since it was missing one button and another was broken. I'll replace them with a couple of jeweled buttons from an old Jones New York blazer. Looks like I'll be Rita Hayworth tomorrow night. Not a bad switch, and still a redhead. I'll be Joan next week, I guess!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY?!!! I THOUGHT I HAD THE "GOODS" FOR RITA!!!
LOVE YA,
YR GODMOTHER SCARY MARY

3:59 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Nobody can do Rita like you. Looks like I have no choice, though.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Linnaeus said...

Were you decent? ;)

9:08 AM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Very decent, actually! Rita went over very well. I got a lot of "elegant" and "sophisticated" feedback. It's going to take a lot of work to get all this lacquer out of my hair, but it's a small price to pay.

2:58 PM  
Blogger UneFemmePlusCourageuse said...

That sounds like an awesome costume...
By the way, I tagged you in an '8 homes' meme...just for fun...been reading your blog for a while now.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, in my younger days, my measurements were 39-24-40. Talk about a bitch to find clothes to fit, especially in the androgynous 1970's! My favorite retro clothes at the time were the late 1950's shirtwaist dresses, which actually fit!

Sigh. I'll bet you looked sharp, though. Maybe you could post a picture of the dress?

6:22 AM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Thanks Femme, I'll try to get to that this week.


Boadicea, you sound like a modern-day Belle Otero. What a body to have in the often androgynous 70s.

My friend took all the pictures, so I'm waiting to get them from her. She decided to come to the party at the last minute and wore my "Officer Naughty" costume (better than I did, I have to admit). I'll post a pic when she emails them to me.

I had my hair done old-school style; my hairdresser set my hair wet in plastic rollers and put me under a hair dryer for an hour. I spend about ten minutes a day on my hair normally, so that was quite an experience. It turned out perfectly; she gave me exactly the 'do pictured above. She also sprayed it until it was bulletproof so that it would last in the evening humidity and through hours of dancing.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Linnaeus said...

Very decent, actually! Rita went over very well. I got a lot of "elegant" and "sophisticated" feedback. It's going to take a lot of work to get all this lacquer out of my hair, but it's a small price to pay.

Sounds like great fun! Rita Hayworth is one of my favorite "old" actresses.

(You also could have answered, "Decent? Me?" a la Gilda ;) )

2:47 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

You know, I didn't get that reference. Haven't seen Gilda in a long time.

2:57 PM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

ray ban sunglasses
ralph lauren outlet
versace jeans
coach outlet
oakley sunglasses
ed hardy
49ers jersey
jordan shoes
ugg boots
nike air huarache

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

dating

I'm a C-list Blogebrity
A Member of Bust's Girl Wide Web

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

Personal Blogs
Personal Blogs /body>