Monday, February 06, 2006

My San Fransisco treat

Some women get Rice A Roni. I've got the following story:

It was July 2005, and it was unbelievably hot - one of the hottest summers I've ever suffered through. The temperature soared into the high 90s at least four days out of the week, and the air was uncharacteristically humid for Los Angeles. At the last minute, I had decided to make the most of my July 4th holiday weekend by flying to San Francisco to visit my singles scene Supertwin, the fabulous Tabitha. I landed in Oakland airport early on Friday afternoon. Tab picked me up and we headed back to her place; she lives in a small town about a half hour's drive from the city. Our first day hanging out was pretty standard issue. We had lunch, shopped a bit, went to the movies, had dinner, and walked the Iron Horse Trail afterwards to burn a few calories.

On Saturday morning, we headed in to San Fransisco. What a city! It's as windy as all get-out, but gorgeous. I wasn't prepared for the sheer size of it; I had always pictured it as a west coast version of Boston, but in reality it's much, much larger. A bit of trivia: it's actually the fourth largest city in the state of California. Apart from its steep hills, the city features an eclectic mix of architectural styles. Victorian houses share the same space as skyscrapers, and the city is flanked by the natural beauty of San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean.

We parked in a garage near Broadway and Hyde, and began the long walk up to Stockton Street, to have brunch at Moose's. Tab and I both miss the walking city atmosphere of Boston, so whenever we get together, we push each other to walk everywhere. We figured we'd work up an appetite before starting the day. Moose's is one of the best-known restaurants in the city, most recently for making an appearance in the flick Just Like Heaven. The movie makes the restaurant look like a young, happening spot, but when Tabitha and I sat down for brunch, we were vastly outnumbered by octogenarians. It didn't matter; our waiter was funny, and the food was amazing. I had french toast stuffed with peanut butter and bananas, with strawberry compote. Delicious!

Next on our agenda was the Coit Tower, a 210-foot landmark dedicated to the city's firefighters. My thighs were screaming as we huffed and puffed our way up Telegraph Hill, passing cars that were literally parked at 45 degree angles. I started to understand why real estate is so hard to find in San Francisco; it must be so hard to move into these buildings, people just don't ever move out!

The tower itself is amazing. We had a half hour wait for the elevator, but it was worth it for the breathtaking views of the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Pier 39 and Treasure Island. Dear readers, if you have not seen these things, you need to see them at some point. Absolutely worth the trip!

Afterwards, we decided to get back down Telegraph Hill by taking the Filbert Steps, a picturesque, three-block long set of stairs with well tended gardens and art deco buildings scattered along the way. A few flights down, we stopped between two houses while I took photos of some trees and flowers. Suddenly, Tabitha freaked and started to bolt down the stairs. "Oh, no no no no. Oh my god. Not okay. NOT OKAY!"

"Hey!" I took off after her and stopped her one flight down. "What the hell is going on?"

"There is a guy..." she shook her head. "A guy. There is a...not okay. Oh, god, EW. Ew, ew, ew. He's in the window right up there. Didn't you see him??"

"What guy? What window?" Tabitha pointed, but refused to move. I headed (unadvisedly, I admit) back up the stairs towards a small blue house that stood right next to where I had been taking pictures. The house's front door opened right onto the stairs; the living room's curtains were open, and anybody could easily see inside.

There was a thirtyish guy standing right in front of the floor-to-ceiling picture window. Completely naked. Well, that's odd. What the hell is he doing standing there nake.....? Oh, no.

Oh, yes. He was jerking off. Spanking the monkey. Choking the chicken. Flogging the dolphin. Punishing the Pope...and looking directly at me.

A lot of women have a story like this tucked in their mental Rolodexes. The Picture Window Wanker was not, in fact, the first time that I had been exposed (ahem) to public masturbation. When I first moved to LA, I was taking a walk through Hancock Park around 9am and saw some landscaper abusing himself on his client's front lawn. He made a point of making eye contact with me, too. Readers, what is up with that? Please fill me in. There's nothing wrong with being penis proud, but, gentlemen of the world, would you kindly keep it in your pants? If a woman wants to see it, she will let you know. I really wanted to ask both of these guys, what are you getting out of this, exactly? Is it the thrill of being caught? Is this impulse a result of Catholic repression? Were you dropped on your head as a baby? What?? Of course, a sensible woman does not attempt to start a conversation with a man who's got his dick in his hand, so all of my questions are, sadly, still unanswered.

One thing I have been able to figure out is that these guys get off on the horror and shock of the females they flash. But by the time a woman is in her 30s, if she's seen one dick, she's seen them all. Unless it can sing "You Will Be My Music" in Frank Sinatra's voice, it's really not going to shock me all that much. As my Nannie (mom's mom) once told me, "They're all the same under the foreskin." Yes, that quote comes directly from my pious 80-year-old grandmother who never, ever misses Sunday mass. She takes no prisoners and is one of my heroes.

So, during the brief moment that I stood face to face with Wankster, my mind reeled. What can I do to freak this guy out as much as he thinks he's freaking me out? I turned around to walk away...then I turned back, made eye contact, smiled and waved, just to see what he would do.

He kept right on wanking, but he waved back...with his free hand.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. i'm just glad your friend didn't fall down those stairs trying to escape!

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you ever get an answer to why men do this (?) please let me know! Wendy

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If you ever get an answer to why men do this (?) please let me know! Wendy"

Wen- I'll ask around and get back to you.

La de da- de da


Ok, I asked around, and Nobody is talking (suspicious)

But, conveniently, I live in San Fran, so I decided to take my investigation right to the source specific to this incident

I went to the Filbert Steps in Telegraph Hill, walked a few flights down, and stopped between two houses where there was some trees and flowers. I looked across the street and saw the picture window, just as Kate's astute observations are chronicled. I went up and rang the bell. The man who opened the door.... he was blind.

quite possibly from self abuse.

I didn't have the heart to ask him the question

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's just their fantasy, like a fetish. To be watched while masturbating.
The problem is some of them don't have the decency to ASK women before.
I mean when they're doing it in a relationship it's just fine.

2:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's just their fantasy, like a fetish. To be watched while masturbating.
The problem is some of them don't have the decency to ASK women before.
I mean when they're doing it in a relationship it's just fine.

2:55 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, polo lacoste, hollister pas cher, coach outlet, vans pas cher, nike air max uk, burberry handbags, lululemon canada, true religion jeans, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, sac vanessa bruno, timberland pas cher, new balance, michael kors outlet online, guess pas cher, ray ban uk, michael kors, nike air force, coach purses, ralph lauren uk, north face uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, nike free uk, north face, nike air max, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, nike tn, hollister uk, hogan outlet, coach outlet store online, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, ray ban pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, sac hermes, kate spade

6:08 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, barbour, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, doudoune moncler, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, lancel, moncler, canada goose outlet, ray ban, coach outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, marc jacobs, supra shoes, links of london, montre pas cher, hollister, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler outlet, hollister, gucci, toms shoes, ugg, nike air max, canada goose, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, vans, barbour uk

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

dating

I'm a C-list Blogebrity
A Member of Bust's Girl Wide Web

< ? Redhead Blogs # >

Personal Blogs
Personal Blogs /body>